Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The GreenHorns

I have spent my entire life living in a city.  I have never really spent any time out on a farm so when we had a chance to watch the Green Horns movie I was excited because when I think of farms I tend to think of older people wearing overalls and big straw hats riding on tractors; but this movie was going to give a glimpse into the world of young farmers and how they are striving to make the world a better place.  I think that in a world where everything is moving towards computers and office work it was really nice to see a change; these young people are creating a world where they are working outside and getting their hands dirty trying to make the world a little better than it was. After watching the movie I kept thinking back to last semester in Beth's class when we talked a lot about school gardens and growing your own food and I think that it is great that these people are extending beyond the classroom and into everyday life. After watching the video a few of us started talking about how we were totally going to go out and start our own farms, but I don't really think that I would be able to put forth all of the work that goes into a farm.  I think trying to boost the economy through something as simple as buying locally grown food can make a world of difference and we should all try to make an effort to help.  I've been trying to make it a point to visit the farmers market each week and buy some locally grown food I'm not able to buy all locally grown food but I figure small steps will one day lead to bigger leaps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment