Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Hydrofracking

Prior to sitting in on this lecture on hydrofracking the only thing that I would have been able to tell you is that it’s a funny word.  I cannot even lie, I am not a hydrofracking educated person because it is not a hot topic in my life currently, but after sitting through the lecture I understand a bit more about what it is and why it is upsetting people all over.  There is so much waste occurring every time they perform hydrofracking and in a world where we can figure out how to put a man on the moon I think we should be able to figure out how to get out the resources without causing such waste.  The thing that really shocked me was that there is so much water that is contaminated and they get so little of the resources they are working towards.  I had a hard time grasping the process used because it seemed like they are using more steps and resources than are necessary and that there has to be a better way to get the resources from the ground.  When the presenters talked about the family who agreed to let the hydrofracking people on their land and the way their land dropped in value because of it, it made me wonder why would anyone ever agree to that, but when you are approached by someone with a contract and a promise you tend to overlook that big picture.  I envision that these hydrofracking companies send in a smooth talking guy with slicked back hair to charm the landowners and then swindle them out of their valuable land; I’m sure that this is not exactly what happens but the promise of a quick job with little effect on the family is not what ends up happening and that is what the presenters talked about. 
            I am of course still no expert on the topic of hydrofracking, but when an article appeared in the paper the other day about it I stopped and read it.  I know that there are other solutions to solve the problems that hydrofracking causes but currently the government isn’t pushing the companies to seek them and if they aren’t motivated to change their ways they are not going to.  Hydrofracking is a topic that I’m sure will begin to take up more and more space in the papers as it becomes a more common phrase and when it does I will be able to offer a little insight on the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment