Wednesday, February 16, 2011

iphoto

I am not a computer savvy person, I know this I have enough trouble with my PC at home and when I sit down in front of a Mac I am completely technology challenged; so this class at first, made me a little nervous, but then we were introduced to iphoto and I was completely comfortable.  This tool put my mind at ease when it comes to the topic of Macs.  It can have such a positive impact on a classroom, it can be used as an amazing teaching tool and it’s really easy to use.  I also thought that it would be a great tool if talking about body heat and thermal temperatures, there was the feature where you could make the photo look like it was taken using a thermal camera; this could be a great way to introduce temperature to a class.  Talking about how everything has a different temperature and that is a way to show the differences.  The iphoto was such a simple tool that can be used in so many different ways in a classroom, not only does it take still photos but it takes a series of pictures that can show slight changes between frames, or the mirror image to show the person side by side.  It offers a visual aide that can have such a great impact on a lesson using such a simple idea, photographs.  It gives a topic or lesson a personal touch that a textbook can’t. Students can research a different landmark and using the iphoto they can pose standing with said landmark or environment.  It can give students a sense of connection to the place even if they have never been there before. Rather than looking at a picture of the Eiffel Tower they can pose right next to it using iphoto, this gives a connection that other programs can’t.   

1 comment:

  1. I'm curious about the thermal camera bit. I missed that. Do you know if it was really using infrared imaging (that would be really "cool"), or was it just an effect? I was studying light with second graders last year, and wanted an infrared camera, but...

    ReplyDelete